Discussed status of Gorge survey, priority of areas and what to do next.
- Group decided that we should ask for access to both the east and west areas that are north of the river.
- Due to the traffic and environmental considerations we will not ask for the areas in the immediate vicinity of Mary Campbell Cave.
- In the next week or two, a small group will go back to take detailed pictures and take a second look at the proposed areas indicated, as well as see if there is any additional rock that was missed. Further, they will get close-up pictures of the cliff bases, trails, rock and any other items that may be useful in our proposal.
- The Gorge proposal will be written in the next month or two to be submitted to the park service. Its focus will be on the proposed climbing areas, and not on items such as bolting regulation, liability and climbing management.
- During the next month information useful for future presentations to the park board will be assembled. This includes details on bolting and other clinics, bolting liability, park management, and the effect of a personal liability insurance requirement on park liability.
- Grand Ledge, McConnells Mill, Coopers Rock, Lisbon Quarry and other locations were mentioned as possible locations whose park management should be looked into.
Discussed the potential for a Whipp’s Ledges cleanup, climbing day and climbing competition.
- It was decided that all the events are a good idea, but none of the attendees has the time to lead the climbing competition effort until the fall.
- A Whipp’s Ledges clean-up and climbing day will be set up in the next month or two. Similarly a Gorge clean-up will be set up.
It was brought up that there is a Northeast Ohio climbing group on meetup.com. It was agreed that NEOCC members should join and try to get the members involved in some of our activities as well.